Perception of STDs/HIV/AIDS among high school students in North Kolkata
- To assess the perception about HIV and AIDS among the high school students studying in various schools located in North Kolkata.
- To assess the difference in the perception about HIV and AIDS between boys and girls.
- To assess the difference in the perception about HIV and AIDS among the students belonging to various economic classes.
- In India first case of HIV infection was recorded in 1986
- Presently there is an explosion in HIV transmission
- The dreaded disease, AIDS, has now firmly anchored itself in India
- Place : North Kolkata
- Schools : Six (randomly selected)
- Subjects: Boys and Girls of class 8 & 9
- Economic classes :
- Assessment of perception: (Through structured questionnaire)
HIV / AIDS
Health and Hygiene
High : > Rs. 10,000 p.m.
Middle : Rs. 5,000 – 10,000 p.m.
Low : < Rs. 5,000 p.m.
- Knowledge regarding HIV/AIDS is very poor among the high school students at North Kolkata.
- It is essential to emphasize the need for HIV/AIDS related education for the high school students, as well as to develop new and more effective intervention strategies, which are to be implemented in schools.